Dec 10, 2011

these weird belonging thoughts passing by...


What does it mean to belong to somewhere? The question came down on me just after deciding to move to the States (and yes, finally I made the decision). Very ironically, right after taking the decision, I met someone- a close friends’ friend, who came to Turkey from the States by following her great grandparents’ steps.  After listening the stories about them, their life and the house they used to live, we found the house realizing that they were neighbors with my grandparents. The Italian style decorated house, a ruinous cafĂ© now, standing in front us... We went inside, walked around, read the names of the family members on the walls, touched them, got some soil from the garden & put in bottles, drank some Turkish coffee, cried a little and head to the church which was built with their donations, sang and prayed and got more sentimental under weird looks. Getting emotional with someone I met a day ago, I thought whether I could feel the same each time I come home, or my children or grandchildren would ever feel they must go and see the place where I used to live.
Belonging somewhere could mean a lot to anyone, but for some reason not much to me. I never felt that I do belong to somewhere, neither do I want to. For sure, like everyone, I have favorite spots; places I feel safe, places I feel free, places I feel happy, places I feel calm, places I feel energetic, places I feel peaceful, yet none I feel belong to. I think I am one of those who can live in any part of the world; preferable somewhere not too cold :) I want to add more to the list; live here or there wherever I enjoy…(why) do we need to belong to somewhere?